Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Purpose of Photography


Photo carried through entire editing process.
Mary Ann Doane discusses the idea of how photographic technology is about this "transformation of index into icon" in the article "Indexicality and the Concept of Medium Specificity".  As she develops this concept, she includes part of Dai Vaughan's argument.  He effectively says how "the point of photography is not that it mimics definitively the experience of seeing an object, but that its relation to that object is a necessary rather than a contingent one."  I was struck by how he so simply yet resolutely describes photography as not merely that of accurately depicting an object, but instead as that of having much more substance when understanding this relation with the components that make the photograph what it is. This article inspired me to alter the way I initially understood photography.  Anyone can snap a photograph and admire it, but a true artist sees more than the physical object in front of her.  She understands how viewers might feel drawn into the image depending on the perspective the photograph was taken at. She studies and comprehends how the figures relate to those around them and how colors impact the mood, etc. 
Upon reflecting on how my project has transpired throughout the weeks, I began to look deeper into my photograph series. I had begun with 32 photos and gradually narrowed them down to 10.  The printing process showed me how some photographs are enhanced and become quite striking in print, whereas others lose some of their previous strengths.  Finally, I chose 4 photographs to print 11x14 and to examine on a larger scale, keeping the strongest 2 that best complemented each other to show in the "Watching Exhibition" on Wednesday, October 19th.  The exhibition showed me the aspects that went into everything-printing titles, arranging orders, advertising, and writing the artist statement. 

Narrowing down and touching up the photographs allowed me to better grasp how each one conveys a slightly different feel depending on the time of day, location, and subject.  Listening and learning from the classroom technique, I actually discovered new themes and aspects in my photographs that I had not realized were there.  This process has enlightened me in better understanding the ultimate purpose of photography!
 

5 comments:

  1. I have seen your project become art since we started this project. I could tell with the 32 images you weren't entirely sure what you wanted to become of your concept but once you narrowed it down to 4, I really enjoyed seeing the depth your project brings to the entire classes work. I think you could continue on with the concept and expand more if you desired to. I really enjoyed how you edited your photos and made every photo glow in a different way. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you 'see' your subjects. You have a good eye-your photos are aesthetically pleasing and well edited... Doane I find was talking a lot about some contentious philosophy regarding the digital medium (and of the abstraction of hyper space) but if it creates works that are smart and thought provoking, I don't think that means should matter as much as the end. That process argument should be reserved for the hard core photographers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kallie that I really began to appreciate and understand your photos more as we went through the editing process. I think your final magazine and prints look great!
    I also completely agree with your statement that some photos look better digitally and others look better in print. I found the same thing as I was printing mine. One that I thought looked fantastic on the computer was not nearly as captivating on paper. And some of the photos surprised me when I saw them physically on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I look at your photos, my eyes always drop on the person who is watching someone else and I feel so curious about it. Then I move my eyes along the watching person's direction to the person being watched. I wonder what he is doing and why someone is watching him. I feel it is very interesting because one person is being watched by someone else in the picture and the person who is watching someone also being watched by us. Maybe the watcher in the picture is reading the mind but we are also reading his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The process way you describe your experience of taking the raw material of the digital image and working on it until it had a solid presence in its final form makes us realize again that the mental level that each artists brings to their work shines through in the end and that making the immaterial into material creates yet another viewing experience.

    ReplyDelete